If you are interested in joining the club, there are several routes to gaining membership. Come along to a club night and meet some of the members, or visit the flying field, or contact one of the committee members. Application forms are available in the clubhouse and can also be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
Some of the benefits of joining the club include
- Access to skilled trainers, and to club training aircraft.
- Assistance and advice on building and flying techniques
- Insurance protection
- Joining a community who all speak the language of model flying
Note – An out of control model aircraft is inherently dangerous. With the advent of low-cost electric ready-built aircraft, there is an increasing trend towards flying from local parks and school playing fields. It must be recognized that hobbyists who fly under such circumstances are leaving themselves liable should their model go out of control and collide with person or property. We strongly recommend that you join a club which has access to a flying field recognized by local authorities and by Civil Aviation, and where you can receive guidance and support.
|Category||Club fees 2020-21||MFNZ fees||Total|
|Senior||$ 0||$ 95||$ 95|
|Family||$ 0||$ 100|
|Junior||$ 0||$ 30||$ 30|
|Associate – non-flying||$ 0||N/A||$ 0|
|Dual member||$ 0||N/A||$ 0|
|New member joining fee (one-off payment)||$ 0||N/A||$ 0|
The club fees for 2020/2021 are set at $0 to celebrate the clubs 25th anniversary.
The will return to normal next year.
If you are new to flying, the following steps are the usual progression:
- Meet and greet with club members, join club
- Try out the model flying experience using the Club’s trainer
- Learn to fly under instruction and supervision, using computer simulator, and your own airplane, under “dual control”
- Pass flying and safety test to gain “Wings”. This enables you to fly on many club sites throughout New Zealand and enjoy the protection of insurance.
Develop into specializations eg indoor, slope soaring, gliding, scale, aerobatics, large model, jet, helicopter etc. Gain further extensions to “Wings” recognizing your competence.
- Participate in interclub and national competitions
- Grow old and sedate and go back to rubber band powered free flight models, or collecting stamps.
- Stand for Committee and support the next generation to achieve their aspirations.
If you wish to join, please download, complete, and send to the Secretary, the forms below. Note that there are two forms required, one for membership of Kapiti Aeromodellers Club and the other for membership of Model Flying NZ ( the National body which provides insurance cover).
- Fill out the Kapiti Aeromodellers Application form and the MFNZ affiliation form and get them signed by a nominator and seconder. Email to the Membership Secretary whose contact details are on the bottom of the form. If you don’t know anybody in the club to nominate or second your application, then discuss with the membership secretary who will arrange.
- The application is notified to club members, who have 14 days to comment to the club committee.
- After 14 days, the committee makes a decision on whether to grant membership and the applicant is advised.
- At this point, fees are due to the Treasurer.
Click on the links below. Forms will open in a new window and can be downloaded. If you are already a member of MFNZ you will only need to complete the Kapiti Aeromodellers Club form. Otherwise, complete both forms.